CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Carlie: a hero, who has adapted to change

Carlie sits crouched on the bed, her red-painted nails tapping lightly on the keyboard. Her big brown eyes stay glued to the screen, as she raises her hand to smooth down her messy hair. ”I’m excited, I have never been interviewed before”, she says yawning. It is a Saturday afternoon and Carlie has just woken up, from a late night out.
The Virgo, who lives with her mother and younger sister is described by her friends as “no nonsense, but friendly”, traded the big city life of Cape Town to study at Rhodes. “I came here because it is a small town, an experience I had never had before. Yes, I do miss the malls and beach in Cape Town, but I wanted to live the Rhodes life”, she adds with a broad smile on her face.
Carlie’s self- assured nature resonates when she says it was not difficult for her to adapt to life away from home. “It is necessary to adapt if you want to survive, not only are you here to learn but you are also here to develop who you are”. She adds that adapting to her means being happy and comfortable in one’s own life.
The motor mouth surprisingly takes a while to answer, when I ask her to describe herself. She sits, tracing her fingers on the cover of her book and finally adds that she is open minded, reliable but critical and very analytical, “ I think far too much” she adds laughing.

Carlie is the stereotypical cool calm and collected Capetonian, but one with substance and insight. She is a Psychology student, and her love for the profession is evident in her being awarded the “Most likely to be the next Dr. Phil award” in high school, while also being involved with the university’s peer counselling programme as a counsellor. Looking around her tidy room I notice a series of Dr Phil books, placed on her shelf. “I love Dr. Phil; she says loudly.” He has simple straightforward strategies and provides simplistic solutions, which the ordinary individual can understand”. Carlie expresses that she is also that [straightforward] type of person, but admits this can often get her in trouble. She states with conviction in her voice, “I’m honest; I tell things as they are, some people do not like that, but I would rather tell you the truth than tell you what you want to hear”.
She adds however that theses strong traits have not hindered her from building friendships. “I find it easy to make friends; but I would prefer having three real friends than 20 superficial “friends”, who will probably talk about you behind your back.” She adds, moving around on her bed, bright pink blanket draped over her broad shoulders.

“Confident Carlie”, as her neighbour Nolwazi has dubbed her, is a self professed daddy’s girl. She describes her dad as her friend and she adds that he along with her best friend, Shannon, are the people she calls on when she is feeling down. “I’m not down very often though”, she adds laughing, downloading movies off DC, peer counselling, and going to the dam with her friends are what keep her happy all the time. “I generally have not had any significant low moments, she says with certainty. “I choose to see the challenges I am met with as little obstacles and not catastrophes. If see things negatively I will attract negative things”.
The 2007 Pinelands High School matriculant was a peer monitor and continues to be the agony aunt of her Margaret Smith residence.“People often come to me for advice, and I enjoy being that rock for people who may need some direction”. It is with these characteristic that Carlie says she has survived. “I have adapted and survived first year because I wanted to. I survive because of my mind, I know it is not easy but I did not give myself any other option but to” [survive].
Our meeting is ended by her sudden dry cough attack, until she adds breathlessly that “Change is necessary, nothing stays the same.”

0 comments: