CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 26, 2008

A Letter to Young Naivety

To a young version of naivety,

The envelope of this letter said it was to be opened only at 20:00 on a Thursday evening. And if you’re reading this then it means that time has come… and I know exactly what it is you are settling down to do right now – watch the latest episode of One Tree Hill, right? And while you watch the scenes of this fictional plot, you can’t help but relate their lives to your own. I know that you do this because I used to do exactly the same.
However, I am writing this in the hope of shedding some light on the future that awaits you at Rhodes University. I want you to know that during your first year, you will probably have to cope with how easily your expectations can change and how often disappointments can arise because I know that you are full of hope, hope that all your dreams are about to start coming true!

The reality is that yes, you are going to have an amazing life down in Grahamstown, you really will be blessed with more than heart could ever desire! But, your first year at university is still going to be a year of difficulty and hard work. With all the blessings, you will also have to face setbacks in many aspects of life. Your social life will be the greatest party all year round, and you will meet people who will become the type of friends you keep for life. Your academic studies will open your mind and challenge any preconceptions you have about society. All the good and bad days that have already formed your life will be nothing compared to the experiences you’ll find here!

But it won’t always be easy. At times it will seem as though for the first time in your life, you have lost your way too far to come back. And while this is scarier than can be imagined, the strength you gain while finding your way back, will be the strength you’ll rely on for the rest of life’s obstacles. This strength will give you unbreakable faith in yourself, what you stand for and how you fight for your dreams.

But for now, enjoy you favourite TV show, you’ll love downloading it from DC++ next year! I wanted you to read this before you watched because of the following quote from One Tree Hill… Rewrite it, stick it on your mirror and live each and every day by it ok!? Great=)

“Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want, everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is gonna come from, the next smile, the next wish come true. But if you believe that it's right around the corner, and you open your heart and mind to the possibility of it, to the certainty of it… You just might get the thing you're wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it. With all your heart.”

1 comments:

Beth Ritchie said...

I cannot agree with you more! If I think back onto the expectations I had of this year at Rhodes, of other people, of my life in general, I honestly cannot say that one has stayed the same.

Everything has changed dramatically, but I like it. I think people are afraid of change as if it is a terrible thing but i guess that depends on the change itself right? What I have also found is that disapointments arise much more than I would have liked. Maybe it's just because I am optimistic but I have found that disappointments are never along. Something good and amazing has come out of everyone. There have been many believe me!
The fact that I now know that i can deal with so much more than I thought possible is worth every "bad" experience. I must add that there have been more good than bad:)

It won't always be easy...but where's the fun if every thing's always easy!
The quote from one tree hill is very awsome, I truely believe that! You really just never know.