CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 26, 2008

Letter to my younger self

Dear my apprehensive younger self

Coming to university has been an incredible journey to say the least.Incredible in the sense that it has opened my eyes up to a world, that I was obviously unfamiliar with, a world that has certain alarming elements, unbeknownst to someone who is yet to come to university.

Some of these elements or obstacles,include making friends or rather finging that group of people you feel comfortable with, much like the group of friends you had at school. A group of people who would laugh with you, and not at you, and a group of people who would not belittle you and find the fact that you try to maintain a good work ethic, a joking matter.
A group of people who would not make you doubt yourself but rather encourage you, and not make you feel like a loser if you don't go out to Equlibrium every night.
You know it's funny; people always go on and on about university, about the "good times" and parties. Granted there are a lot of these, people also say that you will make "tons of friends". As I said the first two ring true but making friends is not that easy. I know that you are a friendly and sociable person by nature, but what you may find at university is that making real friends becomes a task. It is so sad to see people losing themselves and conforming to 'systems', systems that they do not know, systems that they feel they should be a part of so that they can be cool.
'Cultures' such as the excessive usage of alcohol are plenty.
"ok lets go out and get totally wasted tonight" is a line you will hear more often than not. Do not misunderstand what I am saying; I am all for going out, neither am I anti-alcohol but I don't think that alcohol is necessary for you to have a good time. Surely the whole point of you going out and having those much spoken about good times, is for you to remember them?
I am not preaching to you at all, I just do not want you to disappoint yourself by losing yourself because you think that you have to fit in. I am just opening up your eyes to the fact that at times, making friends may not be that easy to do.
University does come with its pro's and con's, as do most things in life and it is good to be aware of these so that you are not a complete and utter wreck if you have not made friends, not acquaintances but friends, and there is a huge difference between the two.

I am not trying to scare you, university is an awesome place to learn and experience life. Thise is advice that I am offering, based on issues that you may or may not be faced with.
;)

1 comments:

The_Connector said...

Hey, I guess this is written by a nerd/dedicated/socialite, I must be honest and say that relate to this letter. I’m not so sure what that says about me now, there goes my nine months of regarding myself a socialite (tear)! Well whatever the case may be… Your letter possesses some distinct commonalities that I felt the same way about such as social pressures and friendships, these are expressed in my own letter. I see the order and structure of the letter at first from a point of few of a pupil that was just out of school and later to a more informed university student that has more experiences. I read the letter as an eye opener, it is as an advisory piece and it is realistic as it tells the reader about how different life is prone to be in university and this could be in either a good or bad way. This piece was strictly written from your point of view and from your personal experiences, didn’t include any attacks on specific others, I guess it says a lot about you.

Thanx for a good read!
The Connector